Friday, April 07, 2006

Pink - I'm Not Dead

Pink has never been on my must-listen-to-album after her second album. However, I managed to convinced myself and give it a shot to listen to her "I'm Not Dead" album (finally). As am writing, am pre-listened to all the tracks. As it goes along, i begin to like her style in this album. It completely different any album that she came out with. Brilliant idea to put herself back in the main stream.
The album's first single, "Stupid Girls," is a great dig at the silly behavior of the tabloid-crazed starlets in Hollywood; though on the surface it seems like a great dis song, at its core it's really an ode to female empowerment and smashing stereotypes. However, I'm personally don't quite agree as this for the first single. It should have been "Ur & Ur Hand" released as first single. It more PINK to me. Edgy, pop rock, raw and catchy tunes.
There is a few slow track in this album. "Nobody Knows" and "Dear Mr. President" is worth listen to. The latter song is one of the most poignant and touching song, which Pink performed with Indigo Girls in fully acoustic style. Just backing up with acoustic guitar, Pink rails against President Bush, attacking him on everything from No Child Left Behind to gay rights as she asks, "How do you sleep when the rest of us cry? How do you dream while a mother has no chance to say goodbye?" Though she may turn off some for wearing her politics on her sleeve, there's no denying her artistry on this song.
Another notable track is hidden track title "I Have Seen The Rain", a duet by Pink and her father, James T. Moore. The two of them harmonize the song in one take. This song written by James about Vietnam veteran.
Overall, this album is not a downer and each track is distinctive from each other. "I'm Not Dead" is co-written and executive produced by Pink. She's maturing and as both artist and individual without forgetting her pop root.
Worth Listen To:
1. Who Knew
2. Nobody Knows
3. Dear Mr President
4. U & Ur Hand
5. Conversation with My 13 Year Old Self
6. I Have Seen The Rain
Track To Watch Out For:
1. Cuz I Can
2. Fingers (I hope someone will remix this track, awesome to be play in the club)
3. The One That Got Away
You will like this album if on your shelf you got:
1. Kelly Clarkson
Feel Good Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments: